Taipei - The City that Never Stops Eating (Part 2)

I just got back from Jakarta (thanks to Bata for the sponsored trip!) and I have, very unfortunately, fallen ill. I am now coughing very badly and I am close to losing my voice. I don't cough as much in the day as I do at night, hence my sleeping cycle is now somewhat reversed.

 Anyhow, let's go back to Taipei for now. This post is filled with pictures of food, so if you feel hungry after reading this, don't say I didn't warn you. ;)

We had a sumptuous Japanese meal for lunch at a random Japanese joint. The sashimi was fresh and every cod roe was bursting with flavour. Yummy!

One of our friends introduced us to a roadside stall serving seafood noodles made famous by Taiwanese singer Jam Hsiao because he used to live in this particular district and patronized this stall very frequently.


I love the dimly lit alleys against the backdrop of the darkening sky at dusk.


After a few turns, we finally arrived at the famous seafood noodles stall which was situated in the middle of an obscure street among a mass of other make-shift stalls. This is perhaps the Taiwanese version of our hawker centre.

Unfortunately, we were so ravenous the moment the food arrived, we forgot to take photos of the food and the stall.It is quite unmistakable once you find your way here though, as there are many photos of Jam and his fans plastered all over the stall. ;) The servings are huge, with generous portions of fresh seafood, all at a ridiculously low price of just S$3!

 After filling our tummies, we made our way to W Hotel near Taipei 101.



The building with purple lights is Esquire bookstore, which has outlets all over Taipei. The main branch here has a total of 5 levels, which amazes me especially in an era where books are gradually being replaced with e-books and brick and mortar bookstores are slowly becoming a thing of the past.

Taipei 101 looks majestic but from what I remember of my last trip here, the view from the top of the tower is quite disappointing.


Finally, we arrived at W Hotel! I love the elevator ceiling, which is a visual spectacle in its own right.


We sat there, had drinks and chatted for what seemed like eternity before we finally got back on our feet and left for more food.


As you can see, the place was pretty dark, hence not many photos were taken.


Everyone raves about the street food in Taipei and honestly, it is not difficult to understand why. There is a huge variety of choices even if you are not into their signature fried food (e.g. fried chicken, mushrooms and the likes).

Baked potato drenched in cheese, topped with sliced ham.


Snow Ice


Salt and Pepper Squid



Smelly Tofu

 Xiao Long Bao



This reminds me of crepes, but this is known as 蛋饼 in Taiwan. There's a wide selection of fillings to choose from but what really completes the meal is the dark sauce drizzled on top.

Are you hungry yet? I haven't had much appetite lately due to the bout of illness but these pictures are enough to work up an appetite for me!

Finally, I'm ending this post with some of my outfit shots in Taipei:


 I bought this pair of Korean black wedged sneakers at WuFenPu for about S$80 and they are surprisingly very comfortable. I loved it so much that I brought it along with me to Jakarta too and I pretty much wore it everyday. ;)


Given the amount of shopping I did, the focus of my next and final Taipei post will be on my shopping buys!


0 comments:

Post a Comment